[CAUT] ET vs UET

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Thu Apr 22 13:38:24 MDT 2010

Hi-

Well,  if the point is to demonstrate that only recently have we been able
"perfect" some super subtleties of our tuning craft that may not be
"authentic", other than maybe in spirit- I don't have any problem with that
at all.  If we are trying to make an overall aesthetic value judgment on the
merit of doing that- (how we do what we do)- then go ahead but personally I
think that is not the right approach.  If there is art at work here, then
this bit is an example.  Are players stopped because the majority of the
audience may not pick up all the subtleties of their interpretation?  Top
chefs do not much talk about the clever and subtle ingredients that go into
their work, but that makes the whole experience what it is.  I really don't
care much to the degree that my customers notice subtle differences between
my work and someone else.  Some know, most don't. What I do care is that I'm
happy with what I do and am convinced that I did my best in my judgment for
that instrument.  That's all.  Same as you. It's simple. Considering, and
understanding the subtleties, I can still say that sometimes we over rate
our significance.  It's only tuning. Like I said before there is only good
tuning and bad tuning.  The differences make it interesting.

Anyway,  I didn't know it was a controversial or "passionate" statement that
an 80% temperament score is a poor representation of ET.  Doesn't take a lot
of exam experience to confirm that. This is a starting point that we have
decided is the minimum acceptable in order to join our organization as an
RPT, and hopefully continue to improve over years- in part with seminars and
conventions.

I was intimate with the Ellis tunings maybe 12 years ago.  Haven't looked at
them now for a long time, I can't remember some of those details.  I would
have to review.  The interesting point to me is any patterns that develop,
and I think we agree on that.  That makes sense.

Now I'm late for my big job of the day- gotta run,

thanks,

Dennis Johnson