[CAUT] soundboard "stress test"

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Apr 20 16:01:01 MDT 2010

Allen Wright wrote:
> David,
>
> The soundboard must have gotten remarkably hot during this event, even
> if it must have been of short duration since no actual burning or
> charring per se occurred per.

Everyone is also presuming that the heat that bubbled the
varnish on top percolated through the wood of the panel,
without help from direct hot air contact from above.

> I suppose it's
> possible a wood scientist could analyze a sample of soundboard spruce on
> a microscopic level and determine whether changes to elasticity etc.  have occurred or not.

I seriously doubt (s)he could determine much of any use unless
the wood was obviously trashed, which the sound ought to
indicate adequately. I don't think the magic tonal properties
of the wood is the first priority issue here, but rather more
the integrity of the glue joints.

> But even though Bill may well be right (and my
> unscientific instincts lean me toward thinking the board might be fine),
> I think that with insurance approval for a complete board replacement it
> makes sense (as you say) to play it safe and go that route.

I agree. Deserts are full of the bones of folks who were
positive they had plenty of water with them.
Ron N