[CAUT] soundboard "stress test"

wbis290 wbis290 at aol.com
Tue Apr 20 15:23:44 MDT 2010

Hi David,

I would not take what fire restoration people say as the final word on many things. I have run into them in my work on some pianos that they said were way beyond repairing and they were pretty far off the mark. I have two pianos that are still going strong over thirty years after they were damaged by fire. One of them had the corner of the piano burning when the fire department arrived. You would never guess that anything happened to these pianos. I have found, also, in my work in the fire department that there are times when the restoration "experts" had written furniture and whole housed off that are still being used. I was asked to speak to a group of insurance people once about fire and water damage to pianos. I had found out by many of these people that it is easier to just sign things off than to repair different articles. I am no expert as far as fire restoration is concerned but I have found by experience in both the piano and fire service that many of these people ta
 ke for granted whatever is told to them when they take their training. I have run into some very knowledgeable people in the fire restoration business and some who have no clue as to the real world. Best to you.

God bless

Bill Balmer, RPT
Ohio Northern University and the University of Findlay