[CAUT] ET vs UET

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 20 13:52:47 MDT 2010

Laurence-

You may recall our correspondence about Bootman's Piano-Forte Tuning Scale, a monochord sold in New York in the 1860's. It is scaled in ET, as is Roller and Blanchet's device (Paris, 1820's). Whether or not these gadgets worked, they are scaled in ET, not some other temperament. They speak unambiguously of their makers' intentions.

My copy of Bootman's advertising flier states "....All tuners try to obtain an equal temperament, but only a few, who have constant practice and a perfect ear succeed, while with this scale all can obtain it more perfectly than can be done by the ear alone...." It is endorsed by William Mason, Gottschalk and Steinway and Sons. Steinway calls it "the best of its kind," so one wonders what other tuning devices were available in the mid-19th century.

They are listed as sold by eight music merchants in New York, Buffalo and Chicago.

I have two of these devices, one in working condition, both purchased on eBay in recent years, so I don't suppose they were rarities.

Ed Sutton