[CAUT] using as ETD

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Sat Apr 17 15:27:41 MDT 2010

Hi Carl,

I'm always balancing between my aural skills and etd skills.

For bread and butter tunings in the home, (which, where I live, means pitch
correction 99% of the time, except when a good upright has excellent
humidity control) the ETD is clearly the better choice for the client's sake.

For concert level work an etd can get the piano close enough that a second
aural pass may offer very stable and a high standard excellence. The etd
may be used during that second pass--but it may be pretty much there "just
for insurance".

The tuner's taste and the client's preferrence should determine how an
instrument is tuned. For example. I have one client who prefers 2:1 octaves
right down to A0. It sounds awful to me--but it is what she prefers. Who am
I to say she is wrong? I'm just an employee carrying out her wishes.

Carl Root said:  Do you (or does anyone) know of a full time tech who has
used an ETD for a period of time (enough to really understand how it
works), then decided, for whatever reason, to go back to tuning
aurally?>271.1.1/2816 - Release Date: 04/17/10 00:31:00

mailto:pianotuna at yahoo.com	http://www.donrose.ca/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716