[CAUT] using as ETD

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Apr 17 08:58:15 MDT 2010

All good points.  I'm not sure I agree with speed though.  Having tuned
aurally for a long time before getting a device I have found that ETD tuning
has been faster on average especially with pitch corrections.  Aural tuning,
especially with larger corrections, left me more often missing my target a
factor much greater than the ETD which impacts the ability to deliver a more
stable tuning on the second pass.  The ETD does gets me to my target very
reliably, accurately and quickly.  Overall, the ETD  seems to narrow the
standard deviation for time spent per piano on tuning, at least for me.

I do agree on being careful about the deterioration of certain skills,
though I find it mostly manifests itself in terms of speed.  When I do tune
that occasional piano aurally I can tell that my temperament tuning requires
a bit more attention than it did when I was tuning aurally on  a regular
basis.  One of the great advantages of ETD's in my opinion is in this area.
I just don't think the ear can divide that  octave any more precisely than
the machine can whatever type of temperament you prefer.  I have not noticed
any change in the skill set tuning outward from the temperament.

The fatigue factor is another issue.  With aural tuning and a day of several
scheduled tunings I find that my energy level can vary significantly
between the 1st tuning and the 5th tuning, if I'm being honest.  Had I been
the customer I'd probably have preferred being my 1st tuning of the day
rather than the 5th.  That's not the case anymore.  That alone is
significant for me if I'm concerned about delivering consistent quality day
to day and from one tuning to the next (though I do try and avoid 5 tunings
in a day when possible).   That combined with a being able to stay more
closely on schedule especially over a long day with many appointments argued
in favor of switching.  At least for me.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com