[CAUT] leather injectors

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Oct 28 18:32:05 MDT 2009

The trick of packing strips of glue soaked leather into screw
holes as a quick remedy for stripped screws has, through the
years, been a good one. The problem I've found is in getting
the leather in where you want it. It typically resists the
procedure. Especially annoying is in something like player
work where you already have 19 screws in a valve channel cover
and find that you have two stripped screws already, and 13
more screws to go. Trying to get a piece of leather that has
become al dente with the glue soaking and will fight like
forty demons to keep from passing from inside the over sized
shank hole in piece one, into the pilot hole in piece two
where it will actually do you some good, is a test of one's
philosophy on being outsmarted by dead things. This is one of
those instances where Murphy was a raving optimist. It's like
putting a sock on a snake, tail first.

I made these tools a while back, to address this perfectly
good excuse for screaming and breaking things, to avoid the
frustration leading to screaming and breaking things, and the
silly things worked great.

I chose a wire diameter that fit fairly closely into the pilot
hole needing the leather shim. This is the plunger. A length
of K&S Engineering brass tubing (hobby shop or hardware store)
that closely fit the wire was chosen as a barrel. Leather nuts
were drilled and CA'd onto the barrel and plunger respectively
as handles, so the tool can be used as a hypodermic to inject
the leather strip into the hole. If you don't have a wire big
enough for the hole you need to fill with leather, use a piece
of tubing and plug the end with solder, choosing the next
bigger telescoping tubing size for the barrel. You can make
these things any size you want. I've made three, and have
already lost the smallest one, hence there being two in the
photos.

appropriate width and length, smear it with glue, and insert
it into the injector. I've found that spinning the barrel of
the injector between thumb and fingers as you feed in the
leather strip makes the strip go in as if it likes the idea.
Then insert the tool into the target hole, get it in as deep
as you can, and press the plunger to inject the leather. You
may then chuckle and gloat as you tighten the screw, if you
like. Using Titebond, I haven't even bothered to clean the
things afterward, and haven't had a problem with gluing the
tool into monolithic uselessness.

I've found them handy. I hope some of you do too.
Ron N