[CAUT] Bechstein model B tuning stability

wbis290 wbis290 at aol.com
Sat Oct 17 07:32:19 MDT 2009

Bechstein model B tuning stabilityHi Geoffrey,

I have a private client who has a Bechstein B in their home and I have seen quite a few changes in it over the years. The piano is now sixteen years old. When it was new and for about the first eight or so years the tuning stability was not good at all no matter what was done. The piano was used from about two to six hours a day, sometimes more. I would tune the piano every three months. I also tuned their Petroff which would hardly need any work and had ten times the tuning sability of the Bechstein. After a while the Bechstein tuning stability got better and now it needs tuning only twice a year.

I have found out one thing about Bechsteins from my personal experience and I don't know if it is just me or it really is the instruments. I tune for a university that has two model EN 9'2" Bechsteins. I have found that I get better tuning stability if I use different tuning technics with them. The one in the concert hall I tune one way and the one in the recital hall I tune a different way and they stay in tune better. If I tune both the same way, one will not have the tuning stability that the other one has. When I tune the B in my client's home, I use a different technic. It seems strange but it works.

God bless

Bill Balmer, RPT
University of Findlay and Ohio Northern University