[CAUT] Jeanie's brain storm - was Boston changed to dealers...

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 24 19:04:08 MST 2009

Wim Blees wrote:
  But these training sessions won't do a bit of good unless the manufactures strongly encourage, if not demand, their dealers to use RPT's, or "factory trained" technicians to do the prep work.

Wim's right. If the manufacturer doesn't require it, it's never going to happen.

I came from a world where your level of competency was judged by the dealer by how many complaints you get about your tuning from the public. When I was asked that question, it blew me away. Tuning complaints? Seriously? I've had one in 25 years, and only one (and more recently), on a piano that had a bad scale error. I didn't like the results any more than the customer did but she didn't give me a chance to go back and work together on the problem. Octave didn't match up and neither did the 5ths or 4ths on two pretty important notes (on a fairly new, well respected brand - but too cheap a model for the application - again, dealer blunder).

When I was still very young in the business, and with very little training, I might add, I had other tuners with years of experience saying that my tunings held up better than theirs on some pretty difficult to tune pianos.

If you're having tuning complaints, you've a long way to go.  But that's all most dealers are concerned about, and if they can get away with it, many of them don't even care about that, as long as they're going through the motions. There are a heck of a lot of pianos out there that could be a heck of a lot better than they are if they'd just had a little prep before the sale, and a little education to the buyer about the future needs.

Band instrument dealers do a MUCH better job.
Tanner