[CAUT] Jeanie's brain storm - was Boston changed to dealers...

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Mon Nov 23 05:50:25 MST 2009

I doesn't matter how many techs attend training courses. A dealer will not pay
to have the piano prepped because of the bottom line and 'someone will buy it'.
There are some that do prep and they are known in their communities.

Until the manufacturers make surprise inspections at showrooms to weed out
the ones that do not properly prep, dealers won't prep.

I'd like to add that some manufacturers don't ship their pianos out in exactly
finished condition either. Thus the mindset of 'perfect', 'new -
right out of the box'.
Heck, it was tuned at the factory...

Don't be so concerned about the dealer prepping the piano. Sell the service
to the customer, let them baulk at the dealer and manufacturer. As long as
you cover for the dealer, you perpetrate the neglect.  Once it gets out that
a dealer is less than stellar, bad news travels fast. So what if you don't get
their stinking referrals, hold the high ground. You will get the work because
you are not a 'company lackey'.

I told one dealer not to send me referrals on their new sales because of the
dreadful condition of the pianos.  On one piano, I bowed out of the 'second
free tuning' but the guy called years later for a tuning and I only accepted
because it was now out of warranty and I could discuss improvement to
the action without getting caught between the customer and the dealer
about what exactly is 'right'.

My job is not as customer advocate. The guy bought it in this condition.
My job is to maintain and improve the piano.

I did make his action play with considerably less effort but still not right
due to glaring manufacturing oversights. That piano should never have left
the factory floor or even worse...the showroom. So much for Quality Control.

How often have you heard, "I thought it was supposed to play like that". Or,
"I thought it would get easier as it played-in".

Don't look to the manufacturers or dealers to improve piano care,
look to yourself.
As long as your allegiance is to the dealer and not the customer and yourself,
stop complaining.  If the dealer will not rise to your level of
conscientious competence,
throw them under the bus. Don't be afraid to stand your ground, the piano owner
will be grateful for your integrity.

If you aren't willing to hold their feet to the fire, no one will.

Don't strive to educate the tech or the dealer, educate the piano owner.
--

Regards,

Jon Page