[CAUT] Boston changed to dealers techs mfgrs and other such

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 20 07:26:35 MST 2009

People who are happy with their businesses aren't going to change, and that's o.k., even if we don't like it.

The "old model" is based on selling pianos as furniture. The dealer sells a static object, and hopes never to see it again. Low price, minimum service and high volume make sense in this model.

The "new model" is based on a long-term service relationship. The customer expects continuous happiness with the piano as a working instrument, and expects to pay a skilled technician to maintain the instrument in a happy condition. The technician/dealer wants the customer to have a piano which can be maintained in a happy condition with reasonable effort at a service price the customer will gladly pay over a long relationship. (Thus the unwillingness to sell old clunkers.)

The "new model" requires fewer customers, and is much more efficient at delivering profit than the "old model." But it can only be done by people with the complex knowledge and skills needed. It may be that only a self-employed technician is motivated to work at this level.

Ed S.