[CAUT] A440, once again...

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Tue Nov 10 17:06:57 MST 2009

Jeff, Paul, others -
I'll agree that there is always a psychological component in all of
this... people trying to hide their own uncertainties, inadequacies,
deficiencies, but I would be a bit more circumspect in my assertions
of dissemblance, were I yous, meaning, don't be so sure.

In both examples below, the writers seem convinced that folks are
faking, the difference in frequency being undiscernible, nor can they
fathom any real effect.  I would venture an assertion of my
own.  Most fine wind players know where the pitch is.  If they didn't
have that degree of control, at least at some point in their careers,
they wouldn't be playing in a first rate ensemble.  The guy who makes
the phone call to ask for 441, or 2, may not be able to tell, but the
players can.

Looking forward to hanging out for a few weeks at the Performing Arts
Library @ Lincoln Center, in order to read the $90 opus Fred
recommended:  A History of Performing Pitch: the story of "A" by
Bruce Haynes.  I may wait for it to come out as an i-book, or for a
Kindle to read the whole thing, but I'm really hoping to get a look
at it soon.  I wonder how many of your institutions own a copy in
their music libraries.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY