[CAUT] A440, once again...

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Nov 10 12:52:00 MST 2009

On Nov 10, 2009, at 8:00 AM, David Skolnik wrote:

> I wish I could speak to this issue with better recollection of its
> history and knowledge of its current manifestations, which I'd love
> to re-research, but for now, I have to settle for expressing an
> marginally informed (former oboist) point of view.  That said, it
> would be much appreciated if someone could remind me (us) of some of
> the authoritative contributions that have been made to this
> discussion over the last ten or so years, by some of our members.
> Ed Swenson's article is still a fascinating entre into the subject. http://www.mozartpiano.com/en/articles/pitch.php
> and I know there are many others.

	Claude Montal, writing in 1836, tells us he had several pitches to
contend with: 434, 435, 437, 438, and 441. One at one hall, one at
another, all in Paris. He made forks for the different halls. And he
wrote an impassioned plea for standard pitch.
	A History of Performing Pitch: the story of "A" by Bruce Haynes,
2002, Scarecrow Press, is probably the definitive work on standard
pitch. It started as a dissertation, then was considerably expanded
into a book. He looked at all historical research, all documented
historical instruments that can be used a pitch sources (organs, wind
instruments of some sorts - recorder, flute, cornetto being useful,
many others being too variable), other data. Lots and lots of details.
	Bottom line, there have been "clusters" of pitch all along, and they
have tended to be a whole step or a minor third apart. 415 and 465
(approximately) are one example. One used in church, the other used in
bands. When the church or chamber group needed winds, they would often
write a transposed part for them, though often the instrumentalist
would be expected to transpose at sight. B flat instruments are a case
in point. They were made as C instruments at a higher pitch, a whole
step higher pitch. Their parts were transposed so they could play in
ensembles a whole step lower. There were various national and regional
differences, with Italians tending to be lower (that's where 388/392
comes from). And there were differences between Italian cities, and
between German ones.
	Half step transposition was almost never done, for various practical
reasons, including unequal temperaments. 440 was a regional pitch,
that somehow managed to become more standard than others, though it
was more as a range of pitch centered around 440.
	International standardization finally started to be implemented in
the late 19th century, with the French 435 (tuned at a fairly high
temperature, like 23C, meaning the fork probably was more like 436 or
437 at room temp - another wrinkle). The impetus behind this fairly
low pitch was opera, trying to get vocal parts in a more comfortable
range - the opera literature being predominantly Italian. The British
had a pretty strong band tradition at that time around A 455-465,
hence some of the Broadwood (and Steinway) forks in that range from
that period. 435 was more or less adopted by fiat, certainly without
consulting the wind players. So, since they continued to play the same
instruments, pitch rose to match their instruments. In the late 1930s,
the British and Germans held a standardization conference, and it
seems the French weren't invited or at any rate didn't attend. They
established 440. And then, of course, came the war.
	Meanwhile, the Viennese were doing their own thing, which happened to
be A 446 or so. They still are doing that. Why should they change?
Aren't they the city of Mozart and Beethoven and most of the other
major classical composers?
	Anyway, it's a very complicated history, and our impression of "pitch
inflation" is a pretty inaccurate depiction of what has taken place
over the last 400 years. We are in very tame times, indeed, mostly
just dealing with the range of 440 - 443, occasionally 445, and some
lower pitches for historical performance practice things. Probably 442
is more of an international standard than 440 at this point.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu