[CAUT] A440, once again...

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Tue Nov 10 08:00:33 MST 2009

I wish I could speak to this issue with better
recollection of its history and knowledge of its
current manifestations, which I'd love to
re-research, but for now, I have to settle for
expressing an marginally informed (former oboist)
point of view.  That said, it would be much
appreciated if someone could remind me (us) of
some of the authoritative contributions that have
been made to this discussion over the last ten or
so years, by some of our members.  Ed Swenson's
article is still a fascinating entre into the
subject.  http://www.mozartpiano.com/en/articles/pitch.php
and I know there are many others.

The issue is multi-faceted.  It has, and
continues to exist, totally apart from the
limited aspects affecting us as piano
people.  It's about economics, and politics,
psychology, psycho-acoustics, and, if Mr.
LaRouche is correct, the fundamental vibrations
of the universe, or not.  Clearly, the PTG needs
a new committee, or maybe assign the Standards committee to weigh in on this.

For us, the issue seems three-fold.
1) Are the design parameters different for a
piano destined to be tuned at 440 than one
similarly fated at 443?(Ron's latest post)
2) Are there negative structural impacts
ascribable to frequent changing of underlying pitch? (Damage? Instability?)
3) Is there a definable increase in the tech-time
required to accommodate multiple standards?  Duh!(*)

And then there's the big 4 & 5.
4) Is anyone actually listening (or hearing?)
5) In the age of AUTO-TUNE, (to quote Joy Behar -
or at least her SNL parody) "So what? Who cares?"

(*) With the reality coming to be represented,
not by a new standard, but, in fact, the absence
of any real standard, accountability is much more
fluid.  It would be fascinating (and feasible, I
think) to create a map showing distribution of pitch standards.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY

At 11:38 PM 11/9/2009, you wrote:

>On Nov 9, 2009, at 8:06 PM, Jim Busby wrote:
>
>>All,
>>
>>Once again there is a push here at BYU to set
>>A442 as our pitch standard. The Director of the
>>School of Music is behind it, and is also the
>>Philharmonic Orch conductor. The problem I see
>>is that most guest artists specify A440.
>>Sooooo
 if someone visits we’ll have to drop
>>down, then back up, back down, up, down
 I’m