[CAUT] microtonal tuning?

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Mon Nov 9 15:42:17 MST 2009

I agree with Ed, all the more so if these pianos are to be the micro-tonal tuning for a prolonged period of time.

Also, you can pull a non-wrapped string several steps sharp before it actually breaks (just how far depends on the scaling of that particular instrument and wire itself).  But strings are like people in that there are things we do to our bodies every day that may not kill us off right away, but certainly shorten our useful life span.  Here at CalArts, we generally don't take strings any sharper than 20 cents, just as a precaution (and we're talking about on performance-quality pianos).

Alan Eder