[CAUT] Prepared pianos

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Nov 9 09:16:30 MST 2009

Joe Wiencek wrote:
> I have  the thought that most piano teachers, pianists and then students
> themselves are in line to be responsible for the  destruction caused to
> pianos in such performances.  If as instrumentalists, pianists learn
> nothing about maintaining their instruments (which is common), then
> abuses will happen.   And because of such ignorance, we are all
> employed.  Carpe diem.

"Seize the culprit" might be more appropriate. Other than the
old thumbtacks in the hammers thing of many years ago, I've
never seen someone perpetrate this sort of nonsense on their
*own* piano. It's always a piano owned by someone else. Paper
clips on violin strings might be interesting, or ping pong
balls in the bassoon. Why is the piano the only instrument
abused in this manner?
Ron N