[CAUT] pin drop -- thanks

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Nov 3 09:17:29 MST 2009

I'd like to thank everyone who took part in the "pin drop" informal survey.

I found it a very interesting and reassuring thread, especially the fact
that so many of you are in your forties or fifties instead of mid-sixties,
and also that the two schools have been graduating eager young people.

That was very interesting about Tom Winter sharing a position with
a novice, and about experienced people sharing a university job,
instead of slogging away all alone. Steve Brady did this with
Susan Willanger at UW, and it always seemed an eminently sensible
approach to preventing burnout and keeping a private clientele.
A private clientele built up over years I feel is a real safety
factor, especially if one might someday be faced with getting
fired (as a surprising number of us are now and then.) Plus
the variety of private clients, and the sociability, and
especially the absence of campus politics and governance would be
a nice break from unrelieved full time institutional work.

I will take it as given that once I hang up the tuning hammer, someone
will somehow appear. If I'm still around and kicking by then, I might
inform the major schools. Of course, maybe I'll be tuning away and
drop dead. I believe Ted Sambell once said, "they'll have to scrape
me off the keyboard." <smile> Sure beats hanging on in some miserable
hospital or old folks home.

Susan Kline, RPT