[CAUT] Humidity, Bridge caps, pitch drift

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jun 30 16:47:44 MDT 2009

Fred Sturm wrote:

>     Significant, yes. I'd just like to be able to tease apart the
> various factors involved. I'm curious about the particulars of
> experience to date (understanding that, unfortunately for the notion of
> experiment versus control, the experiment is also a different scale and
> design): is there still the familiar pattern of lowest plain wires on
> the treble bridge, and lowest strings above struts moving farther?

That's a scaling issue, not a bridge issue. If you don't
change the length progressions across the struts, and get the
break% up in the low tenor, yes - only not as much. As I said,
this is expectation only. I haven't put an epoxy laminated
veneer cap on an original bridge and soundboard.

>Just
> not as much? (guesstimate about the proportion? half?)

No guesstimate. Try it and find your own numbers.

>Do unisons
> continue to smear in the same direction? Just not as much?

I haven't found the much discussed unison smear to be as
dependable as claims indicate, so again, try it and find out
for yourself.
Ron N