[CAUT] Humidity, Bridge caps, pitch drift

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jun 30 16:10:10 MDT 2009

On Jun 30, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Fred Sturm wrote:
>
>> My question is how much of the total picture is the bridge cap, and
>> how much is elsewhere.
>
> I haven't put an epoxy laminated veneer cap on an original board. Do
> so, and you can tell me. I expect it to be a significant factor in
> tuning stability though, and an obvious termination improvement.
> Ron N

	Significant, yes. I'd just like to be able to tease apart the various
factors involved. I'm curious about the particulars of experience to
date (understanding that, unfortunately for the notion of experiment
versus control, the experiment is also a different scale and design):
is there still the familiar pattern of lowest plain wires on the
treble bridge, and lowest strings above struts moving farther? Just
not as much? (guesstimate about the proportion? half?)  Do unisons
continue to smear in the same direction? Just not as much?

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu