[CAUT] Humidity, Bridge caps, pitch drift

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 29 20:36:18 MDT 2009

Re: [CAUT] Humidity, Bridge caps, pitch driftI wish that someone would make a direct measurement of the supposed rise of the soundboard, and of the supposed bridge roll.
I also wish there was a way to stabilize the soundboard so we could find out if humidity causes a swelling of the bridge cap sufficient to explain the pitch change. Or perhaps build a piano with a plexglas soundboard and wooden bridge, and another with a wood soundboard and a solid plastic bridge.

For example, I am dealing with a piano with a full, enclosed climate control system underneath, and it continues to have fast responses to ambient humidity changes.  I'm wishing I could install tiny heater bars all along the bridges to see what happens.

And I realize that anything we prove about one piano may have no relation to another piano.

Ed S.