[CAUT] Steinway D Hammers

John Minor jminor at illinois.edu
Mon Jun 29 12:30:32 MDT 2009

Fred,

How about a photo of the "five needles inserted in a wooden tool (hammershank spacer stock, 1/2" x 1/8" or so...."?

Also, "I usually use a line of #10 or #12 needles just
to the left/bass of each string " does not produce a clear image in my mind.  Do you use 4 different diameters of needles in your voicing? In different tools, or in the same tool?

Thanks for the specifics on what works. I'd like to give it a go!

John Minor
University of Illinois

	Yes, but that is where efficient techniques come into play. Find what
needs to be done, and do that to every hammer in a methodical way
(tapering as the sizes of hammer tapers, and checking as you go). For
the una corda, I find I usually use a line of #10 or #12 needles just
to the left/bass of each string (and angling away from the string
mark), then a line of #8 - #10 at the full uc position. Usually a
perpendicular insertion parallel to the string mark, followed by 1
o'clock and 11 o'clock in each case. With well marked string
positions, this goes quite fast.
	Then follow up with rest position voicing, which is usually mostly
single needle, and again finding and reproducing patterns of insertion
for sections (I like to alternate a single #8 needle with #6). Often I
will finish rest position with a single insertion of #12 needles, to
get good pianissimo control.
	The #8 - #12 needles I refer to are something I have mentioned a few
times before, with five needles inserted in a wooden tool (hammershank
spacer stock, 1/2" x 1/8" or so), and spaced evenly so the outer ones
are 6 to 8mm apart. About 3 mm protruding. (I should say I don't like
the tool the Steinway folks use at all. Far too coarse).
	I have found this system to be quite efficient and fast, with good
results. Problems arise when you get into the syndrome of
"customizing" every single hammer, and every bit of each hammer's
surface. That way lies madness and inconsistent results.
	All of which is not to say that one doesn't need to go through and do
some custom evening out. But if you start with well-traveled and
squared hammers (squared meaning burned so as to strike the strings
perpendicularly) and level strings, touch up mating, and do
consistent, methodical work, the customizing becomes minimal.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu