[CAUT] Fwd: Revision for George Winston Show (fwd)

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 29 16:21:18 MDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Paul T Williams <
pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu> wrote:

> Very helpful, Doug!!
>
> I tune ala Steve Brady's stretched octaves as he taught me.  Is this
> enough, or does he want really strectched stuff??  Otherwise, I'll tune the
> way i tune. My biggest nit-picky thing is unisons, too, so we should be a
> good match!)
>
> This is great info...and he'll probably send me something too when it gets
> nearer to the performance.
>
> Thank you!!
>
> Paul
>

>   *"Douglas E. Wood" <dew2 at u.washington.edu>*
> Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
>
> 06/29/2009 02:04 PM   Please respond to
> caut at ptg.org

> caut at ptg.org  cc
>   Subject
> [CAUT] Fwd: Revision for George Winston Show (fwd)
>

> I'm attempting to send this remotely, so hopefully the attachment will go
> through. I agree that George is easy to work with. He is, however,
> particularly sensitive to unisons (and anything that masquerades as
> unisons), and to shift pedal issues.

 When I tuned for him I set the piano at 442 and the top octave 30c sharp as
requested. In order to obtain the extra soft sound when the soft pedal was
used I found I had to remove the stop screw and replace it with a piece of
self adhesive felt. Just enough to allow the action to shift more than usual
but not so far that the hammers struck the adjoining strings.
I spent extra time on my unisons as well, after he had played for a while,
he came in the middle of the night to check out the piano, there were some
ragged unisons, mostly in that overstretched area of the top octave and he
found a clunk in the soft pedal I had missed, it traveled so far the metal
bar was striking the underside of the keybed, I wrapped it with a large
rubberband and it was fixed.

Good Luck,

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404