[CAUT] Morality and Piano Technology; was RE: Tuning--again

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jun 23 16:39:53 MDT 2009

On Jun 23, 2009, at 8:22 AM, Jim Busby wrote:

> I guess that begs the question, can someone be asked to leave the
> list? If so, how does that work?

Hi Jim,
	I suppose one can be "asked" to leave the list. That simply takes an
email or a phone call or whatever form of communication, and somebody
choosing to take that initiative (to what result is another question).
There is nobody "in charge," so there is no way such a request could
become official. One could actually be unsubscribed by the webmaster,
but that would get into realms I don't think we want to enter, or
maybe even contemplate (who decides? on what basis? with what long
term results?). It's an open list, and I think it should remain that
way.
	This list has tended to do a pretty good job of self-policing, and
has managed to maintain a pretty good record of "collegiality." When
things get dicey, we tend not to overreact, but simply use silence to
good effect. I think that is generally the best policy.
	A word or two of, shall we say, gentle reprimand from time to time as
needed (from any number of people who take that upon themselves in the
common interest); an apology or two as seems appropriate (not a bad
thing for anyone to learn how to do); and when all else fails,
silence. Ignore, go about your business. Change the subject. That is
my own take on how lists like this can remain viable. It certainly
makes no sense to do battle, to engage in flame wars. If somebody
annoys you, ignore him or her. If the tone gets nasty, delete
everything for a week or two until things settle back down.
	We're all colleagues. We ought to bear that in mind. We certainly
don't need to agree on everything, but that doesn't prevent us from
treating one another with courtesy.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico