[CAUT] CAUT Certification: How many with a shop at a University or College do Bellywork?

Sloane, Benjamin (sloaneba) sloaneba at ucmail.uc.edu
Tue Jun 23 06:31:25 MDT 2009

     Greetings, colleagues,

   I have a question. How many piano techs. on the CAUT list are doing bellywork in the shop at their school, besides pinblocks and recapping bridges? Are there statistics for this? Should we do a survey?

   If we are just contracting off what I believe is part of the second year of training at the North Bennet Street School, is it really fair to promote a certification that potentially could make those who do bellywork look inferior to us? Is that in the best interests of all PTG members? Assuming bellywork is not part of the cirriculum that is planned.

   Furthermore, I have been around the block enough for those who have rebuilt enough actions to know, Stanwood provides no panacea. Sometimes an action job just does not turn out well as we expected. For University techs, usually we can find a place for the piano. For people in the field, the pressure is much greater, for in many cases, we have no alternative but to return it to the client as it turned out.

   I am concerned that we are going to make those not doing salaried work for a University and College look bad with the CAUT certification. Is this a valid concern?

    Respectfully,

               Ben