[CAUT] University Budets and Payroll/Caut test

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sat Jun 20 14:27:19 MDT 2009

Jeff,

I love my profession!  I wouldn't trade it for another.  It brings me
great joy to see the grateful look on a customer's face when they play
their piano and rejoice in how much it has improved.  Same thing with
students and faculty here at UNL when I finish a huge project on a piano
that was worse for wear.  The paycheck is not all what I work for,
although it does have  salient status, if you will, in why I work how much
I do.  The circumstances from my beginnings in the Seattle area is what
really brought my interest in being a CAUT into being.  I'll give you a
short history;

We were on an island just north of the Seattle metro area, where, guess
what...there were 4 other RPT's already there... with long standing
stability long before my wife and I arrived.  Also a couple of "tooners"
were also there who also cornered the really low-end market. I did earn a
share after time, but it was hell there.  I (not WE)  struggled with that
community for 15 years...simply because my wife had long time ties there
and a real love for the place and had a good business built up...but still
not enough to get any savings, or retirements started.  I had to deal with
huge commutes, ferry boat waiting,(lots and lots of ferry boat waiting!!)
and the extremely tight relationships, or clicks, in the area that most
people had there with the existing technicians.  I never felt that I fit
in to the neighborhood, if you will. We had started a family and couldn't
even afford health insurance.  (if I hadn't the need for ferry boats, I
certainly could have afforded insurance!)

Now being here at UNL and was required to start the 401K program through
the Univ. is encouraging, but I really long for the ability to invest much
more. BUT, It's at least a start, and being in such a predicament in
Washington, I'm thrilled to be doing it at all.

All that aside, I'm in the opinion that getting a CAUT "special" "degree"
is a great thing, and since my director is always sending me(no cost to
me) to any and all education available, at least one trip per year, being
a CAUT is great!  Last year I went to Oberlin instead of National, and
this year,, the first of 5 at NY Steinway seminars instead of National
again...(I had to choose....!! sorry national! I'll be there next year) I
couldn't have gone to anything in self employed-years past.
On the other hand, state universities have a certain budget which is
strictly adhered to in regards to music.  Getting a CAUT recognition to my
resume would not help me here, but if I decided to search out another
university to work for, it might have some bearing on what starting salary
I might command, but there will be no "special" advancements here if I
were to go for it.  I think that the only help this special endorsement
would bring is for CAUT -rewarded status people would be for starting at a
new university or college setting.  No existing CAUT should expect to get
some sort of miracle raise for getting this award.

That's all for now...I might add more later, but off to a wedding
reception.

Best to all, and you, Jeff.
Paul

"Jeff Tanner" <tannertuner at bellsouth.net>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
06/19/2009 09:13 PM
Please respond to
caut at ptg.org

<caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] University Budets and Payroll