[CAUT] University Budets and Payroll

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 19 20:12:21 MDT 2009

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Paul T Williams
  To: caut at ptg.org
  Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 5:59 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] University Budets and Payroll

  Are you all able to invest at least 15% into your retirement?  I can't  do it, but wish I could...especially right now...Everything is on sale.
I was never able to invest anything other than the mandated 6 point whatever percent.  It always cost me about 150% more than my take home check to live here (with a family -- if I'd been single, I could have probably gotten by ok.  But is that what we work for? just to support ourselves? Is that why we bust our tails to improve our skills?).  After 10 years, with interest, I had a whopping $30K in my retirement account.  Lessee, at that rate, I'd have had almost a year and a half's salary in the account at retirement.
Jeff