[CAUT] Caut Certification

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Sat Jun 20 06:36:33 MDT 2009

Wim, the encouraging aspect of my latest reclassification was that it was entirely through HR that I got it. No doubt, good relations with the Dean and faculty is a must but that was not how I was promoted. I sent in my PDQ (position description questionnaire) to HR and an industrious officer there did what they are supposed to do - a little research. She called the Home Office (she found them herself) and was given some facts and figures about income levels of private techs vs. institutional and also was given some references from across the country to contact. On interviewing me she became sympathetic to me in regards to the disparity of income levels and recommended my promotion. The HR department then informed the Dean that I had been promoted and that he had to find the extra money to pay me. It wasn't a whole lot (5%) but it did put me into that higher pay bracket which is necessary if I have hope of further increases. This was during a time of across the board budget cutbacks which makes it even more remarkable. I strongly encourage all CAUT techs to get to know your HR officer and find out what they can do for you. Nobody is going to do it for you! You have to be your own advocate. If you are waiting around for a raise based on merit, you will be waiting a long time. There is no fat in state university budgets anymore.

Jeff, I am happy to be your friend and certainly don't want a war but I guess what it comes down to is that I remain optimistic about our chances of ultimately making a difference. I see evidence of progress on the salary front all around me and I truly believe it is because of the efforts of the CAUT technicians who came before us and the efforts we are making. I know that doesn't help you feed your family in the here and now but what should we do? Just give up? It is apalling to me that your school up-graded  the position after you left and then gave the job to an unproven tech...that tells me that they must be plain ignorant. If we don't try to educate them, who will? Right now, with salaries being low it shows that schools don't value us very highly...as salaries are eventually brought up I believe we need to have an infrastructure in place to show academia "value" for their investment. The committee has never operated on the illusion that waving a diploma around would get everybody a raise...we can thank you for that! Your input has been valuable in keeping us grounded in the reality of the situation. It is my opinion that when we look back 10 years from now, the CAUT endoresement and academy initiatives will have made a difference.

All the Best,
Eric

________________________________
From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of wimblees at aol.com [wimblees at aol.com]
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 9:59 PM
To: caut at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Caut Certification

Eric said
I think the people who pass through this program will have a better sense of self-worth and more bargaining chips than someone who hasn’t and will in all likelihood be able to bargain for a better starting salary.

I don't know how you did it Eric. but it seems that the school has the upper hand at the bargaining table. If you ask for more money, but they won't give it, I don't know too many techs, except Jeff, who would call their bluff and walk out. I certainly wouldn't have done that, and I don't think too many other techs would either. Were you ready to walk out if the Dean had not given you a raise and higher classification? I asked for, but never got, a raise higher than cost of living, and the school even paid for my Steinway training. So they know I was better at my job from one year to the next.

The bottom line is this. A good relationship with the department chair, the piano faculty, and the dean will help when it's time to get a raise, or jump to a higher classification.
But schools are going to give techs a raise only if there is money. The certificate will be a nice piece of paper, but it won't do any good to get a raise. Threatening to quit will not get you that rasie either, because there are too many tuners, including RPT's, out there ready to take your place.

Wim