[CAUT] What a joke!!

Chris Solliday csolliday at rcn.com
Thu Jun 18 10:53:01 MDT 2009

I empathize Paul. You were truely in an untenable situation. And it looks like it will keep happening. This jogged my memory of an incident that occurred when I was just beginning at our craft, and when I was willing to try almost anything, no matter how stupid it looked or might seem, to get the job done.
I was on stand-by for an outdoor jazz festival (and I do not blame jazz for these kinds of situations) in my neighborhood, so my friends and family were all there. The piano being used was an old and partially rotten Steinway B (at least it had good parents) which had been in an abandoned building for decades molding away in the damp Pocono summers with little heat in the winter. The strings were totally rusted, the cabinet veneer was powdery to the touch and the action was seizing. Suffice to say that preparation was long and arduous, but I was able to get the thing working and in reasonable tune at 440. Then the next day, we moved it outside and on stage. As the morning began everyone revelled in the fact that providence had provided a glorious day of sunshine and warmth, although the threat of rain persisted remaining in the background and the humdity was changing. By 11:00am the piano had begun to change and I could no longer say 440 would be there, by 11:30 the tenor section was on the rise and no longer reliable. Unisions were moving, etc.
 I consulted with a friend who plays the saxophone and is usually pretty level headed despite repeatedly blowing into that tube. He was also on the Board of Directors and could make decisions for the festival. I told him how unstable that I thought the piano would be for the next two days of music, 10 acts a day, almost all of them using the piano. He asked if I could think of anyway to improve things, and all I could say was that if we could cool the piano down and stabilize its environment we could improve our situation. So he asked if could we put buckets of dry ice (which the concessionaires were using for storage) under the piano and tent the bottom would that work. I admitted I didn't have such experience but that it sounded good to me. Attaching melting popsicles to the ribs would have been fine with me at that point. So we arranged it with buckets and blankets, even found some almost the color of decaying traditional satin walnut.
The festival began at about noon and by my first touch up at 1:00 I could notice an improvment and I was able to help the unisions and the tenor section. I can't say it was a total success but it was an improvement and everyone who helped with the project, including most of the stage crew and the directors, gained a little piece of ownership that brought us closer together. Since then the festival has grown over the years and they rent a Hamburg Steinway from Pro Piano and it arrives the day prior to the event and is completely tented on stage overnight (come rain or shine and the creeks do rise around here) and tuned midmorning and touched up between acts each day. The pitch is allowed to drift although the bass usually is the final arbitor. And that is satisfactory, but still the climate is always reaching out to through its own blanket on it all. Things are better and shall I say workable.
Your post, and recalling that festival, made me wonder what would happen if the piano had a Piano Life Saver System installed. I've never run into one outdoors. Anyone have any experience to share?
Your brother in frustration,
Chris Solliday
Registered Piano Technician