[CAUT] Tuning--again

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Jun 16 17:10:52 MDT 2009

Tim writes:
 I must not be tuning the right pianos because I don't
>> consider myself even close to the type of decisions they make.  I
>> really am in awe of piano techs whose tunings truly have moral
>> implications.

Fred replies;
 >  I think the point is that, for the obsessed, rather silly piano
> technicians, those decisions about where to place some individual
> note become so important as to become "moral" decisions. It's a poke
> at how seriously we take our work, when it really doesn't have
> anywhere near that level of importance.<<

    I think you misunderstood what Kelly was saying.  He was not making a
joke.  He was referring to a tuner's  integrity and on what basis we make
decisions.
     "Moral" refers to the consideration of right and wrong.  It has
nothing to do with religion or how "important" a decision is, (though history is
filled with examples of religious "morality"  becoming the basis for
slaughter).
   What Kelly Ward was telling me was that we have to judge ourselves with
each decision we make while tuning a piano.  Those are moral decisions.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours
in Just 2 Easy Steps!