[CAUT] Getting lacquer out of hammers - follow up

Sloane, Benjamin (sloaneba) sloaneba at ucmail.uc.edu
Mon Jun 15 14:28:59 MDT 2009

   Generally, I would go in early to get to the pianos before the students got there. If I tuned more than one, I could trade rooms easily if I just did a popular piano and exchanged that for the room they were in.  This Steinway practice room with Abel hammers I could always depend on being empty later in the morning because it was always one of the last rooms to be chosen.
   I think the punch I associate with harder pressed hammers may be more desirable on a Steinway D in a concert hall than a Steinway L in a small practice room. It was pretty overwhelming in that small room.
   There are other old school Steinway new school Steinway things besides modified voicing techniques. Even if they trained Ken Sloane to gang file new hammers in the 70's and 80's, that is not what he taught me. I learned to file hammers one by one first. Actually, the first time I saw gang filing it horrified me. I did start doing it later, but if I am trying to resurrect worn Steinway hammers, I file them one at a time, and for me, it is faster than gang filing.