[CAUT] Tuning--again

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Jun 15 11:07:05 MDT 2009

Hi again..

I really hadn't intended for things to go in this direction, and I'd
like to make a clarification as long as it has.  When I send Fred a
friendly poke about whether the degree of persnicketyness we are talking
about matters or not... number one I am not placing any value judgment
on what differences occur between this that and the other approach.  I
DO maintain there are both audibly noticeable differences in different
stretch priorities, and different temperaments and that these do color
the overall tuning.  To what degree these differences <<matter>> is
partly dependent on just what we are referring to at any given time,
i.e. the term needs presisering for each usage.

 I have no doubt that in many many areas this stuff matters not a hoot.
That said... I'm pretty darn sure it matters quite a bit in other
regards. It matters because there ARE noticeable differences, and where
differences can be noticed, there is the potential for a consensual
agreement that one or the other of these differences is preferable, in
at least this, that or the other situation.  It matters also because
gaining more control and sensitivity over a larger scope of what we do
gives us a greater degree of ability to carry out our task.  Where each
of us draw that line is our own affair when it comes down to it. But
thats another issue all together. Seems to me we are shuffling two or
three different decks of cards here. What <<matters>> or not to one
person is one thing... declaring something to be universally
insignificant or not requires a rather more solid groundwork of
justification.

Cheers
RicB