[CAUT] Tuning--again

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 15 09:49:00 MDT 2009

Fred and Richard-

An interesting experiment is to measure the pitch of a tuning fork several
times, or to measure it several times as the tone decays. Using Cybertuner's
Pianalyzer function I often get variations of as much as 0.6 cents.
Sometimes I get 3 or 4 identical readings in succession, then a very
different reading.

Perhaps this is an artifact of Cybertuner, but I think more likely we have
to admit that big things (multi-molectular things, like tuning forks and
pianos) don't take their Hertz as seriously as we do.

[Besides collecting tuning forks, I have tried experiments in close
calibration, for demonstration and ear-training. Sometimes we just can't
help ourselves...]

I think that optimal professional piano service involves a very carefully
informed sense of what appropriate degree of accuracy we are capable of
delivering in a particular situation. We should be attempting the very best
possible, and not attempting what is impossible unless we're on our own
time. Defining the appropriate/optimal/possible is a life's work.

"A piano technician makes more moral decisions in 20 minutes than a preacher
makes in a week." Wish I knew who said that.

Ed S.