[CAUT] String Coupling / SB and Bridge stiffness...and maybePure Sound

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Jun 14 16:38:51 MDT 2009

Ed

I think you will find that any ETD is capable of tuning unisons with the
kind of effort Kent has described in several of his posts on the
matter.  In reading those I get no sense that Kent ear was not turned on
big time as part of the getting the unisons clear process.  I tune
unisons with a combination of tunelab and ear all the time, if for no
other reason then to allow my mind as much information pertainant to the
task as I can get.

Try this out... Tune a piano with those super clear unisons that take
the extra effort Kent has described imposed on a close but no cigar set
of octaves.... then tell me whether or not your tuning sounds just as cold.

Make no mistake about it.... the P-12ths priority embodied in Stoppers
software creates an overall tuning color... or affect.  And Stopper
would be the first to support that statement me thinks. Clean as
possible unisons that in coupled state reflect the intended frequency
are a prerequisite for any good tuning.

Wasn't it you who mentioned a talk with Virgil a few days back about
exactly how the whole pianos sound can be influenced by the tuning ....
and not just unison tuning ?

Cheers
RicB

    Fred-

    This is an interesting comment, and brings us back to my comment
    that a significant part of the effect of Kent's tuning with the
    Tunic program may be due to the use of the program to tune unisons,
    one string at a time. Not to mention that Kent does a preparatory
    tuning that would probably pass for a tuning in many situations.

    Incidentally, though I heard the Tunic/Hailun as sounding very
    "clear," I also felt it sounded a bit "cold," and wished we could
    have had time to voice it more fully. Or was it the effect of the
    unisons?

    Ed S.