[CAUT] Getting lacquer out of hammers - follow up

Chris Solliday csolliday at rcn.com
Sun Jun 14 07:10:38 MDT 2009

Israel,
I recommend the recently posted, by David Stanwood, Bill Garlick technique
of dropping the preferred solution onto the sides of the hammer starting at
the underfelt point and working your way "up" to the crown. First one side
and then the other while its still wet. Go all the way to the crown in the
high treble, tapered to less and perhaps reapplied after listening later.
Let dry in the normal position with hammers and stack in the upright
position. I let them cure for three days before doing any other voicing and
even that with an eye to the changing that goes on for the first thirty days
until the lacquer is fully cured. I find this gives the most bloom with an
appropriate bang and a good dynamic range overall. Of course then there is
some needling to be done. I hope that this is some help.
Chris Solliday