[CAUT] String Coupling / SB and Bridge stiffness...and maybePure Sound

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 13 18:44:51 MDT 2009

Fred-

Sadly, and with a sigh of relief, I agree!! But I will keep trying to hear
and tune better.

It is worth remembering that if perfect tuning mattered that much, pianos
would not exist, since they would need daily tuning to be tolerably in tune.

Similarly, past a certain point, acute pitch sensitivity may be a musical
hindrance. I recall going to school with someone whose claimed perfect pitch
was so acute that almost nothing except his own playing was tolerable to
him. It may be that those few who do have the ability to hear the difference
select themselves out of the field. A violinist friend resigned from the
symphony, saying "Fifteen years trying to play with a flat bassoonist and a
sharp oboist were enough!"

Similarly, I note that with the pedal down, most full, big arpeggios sound
very nice to me. It is when I play quiet, simple, clearly voiced harmonies
that I am more likely to hear with a slightly more cultured sense of pitch
relationships.

[So tonight I am weighing and hanging hammers, wondering how much those 0.1
gram differences can really matter.]

Ed S.