[CAUT] String Coupling / SB and Bridge stiffness...and maybe Pure Sound

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Jun 13 17:19:59 MDT 2009

On Jun 13, 2009, at 5:12 PM, Richard Brekne wrote:

> Still... they did show one thing.  The audience at hand was not able
> to make a conclusive choice. Which either says more about the
> audience then anything else... or that once you get past a certain
> degree of refinement we move over into the arena of how conscious
> the tuning was and how well the result matches the intent.

	Or they show that, beyond a certain point of refinement, it really
doesn't matter. Which is a hard concept for a piano technician to
grasp, since we spend so much time obsessing over those details. We
very badly want them to matter to our customers and our audience. I'm
not at all sure that, beyond unisons, they do. Within a fairly wide
(to our way of thinking) set of parameters. I know it's a shocking
point of view, and that I should whisper it and hold my head in shame
(because I obviously just don't have the chops to accomplish a fine
tuning, or to distinguish one <G>), but it's the conclusion I have
come to increasingly over time.
	On a somewhat related matter, I have written more than once about my
Moore/ET experiments, and about my recordings that use both. I have
now completed production and release of the CD that is about half and
half ET and Moore (half the tracks one, half the other), and it is on
the web at http://cdbaby.com/cd/fredsturm5 with samples (about a
minute each) of all tracks. This recording was a redo of my first CD,
which I recorded in ET. For my own amusement, and the possible
edification of others, I have made a compilation of the two, with
paired tracks. In each case, the first track is from the first CD, in
ET. The second is the same music played on the same piano by the same
pianist in either ET or Moore. They sound different, because one is
five years later than the other and I changed performance (I certainly
hope for the better), and the sound quality is better (better
equipment and recording engineer). But you get a chance to hear the
piece in ET, knowing it is ET, before trying to judge whether a track
of the same piece is ET or Moore. I'll bring some copies to Grand
Rapids in case anyone is interested. At some point I'll post some of
them them to my web page, when I finally get through with designing
and implementing it. (Too many more interesting things to do <G>).
	If we can't distinguish between ET and Moore, can we distinguish
between a "highly refined" "aurally perfected" tuning (ET or whatever)
and one that hasn't been so refined? It makes one wonder. At any rate,
it makes ME wonder.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico