[CAUT] String Coupling / SB and Bridge stiffness...and maybe Pure Sound

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 11 19:52:19 MDT 2009

Ric-

Unfortunately I had to glue in some keybushings, and my mind took over...

In thinking about strings and soundboards, etc., we proceed by conceptually
isolating the various components, when in reality they are always
interconnected. Consider the role of the non-playing strings when you try to
measure the pitch of one string in a tri-chord unison. They do not magically
evaporate, changing nothing. Played or not, they effect the system.

>From the viewpoint of the sounding string, the non-sounding strings are
increasing the impedance of the bridge/soundboard/string system that the
single sounding string is trying to move.

A. If the two non-sounding strings are muted, they are in effect coupled
with their half-step neighbors, and presumably their impedance does not
change over time.

B. If they are not muted, but are left open when one of the tri-chords is
plucked, they would first add to the impedance, then perhaps, as they began
to move in response to the bridge motion, they might work either with or
against the original string, depending on the phase shift.

C. If all three strings are struck, is there an amplitude threshold for
coupling to take place via the bridge? Is it the same as the amplitude
threshold for the system to produce audible sound? If not, what will we hear
when two or three coupled strings de-couple? Can we hear them de-couple at
one partial, but stay coupled at other partials? If this can be heard, it
might be your diagnostic for system impedance. Perhaps this is the hissing
sound of a killer octave with poor sustain.

Meanwhile, I had an interesting talk with Virgil Smith this evening. He is
doing well and has been writing some new material about how tuning can
change the sound of a piano.

Ed S.