[CAUT] Getting lacquer out of hammers - follow up

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 11 15:10:55 MDT 2009

> Thu, 11 Jun 2009 16:06:08 -0400 "Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel)" <
>
> Israel,
>
>  The official word I got from them and others there at the factory including Kent Webb and Eric Schandall is that each set of hammers is pre-soaked before installation in 3:1 lacquer/acetone. The whole set is dipped for 30 seconds is what I was told.  In the later voicing operations they will apply more 3:1 acetone/lacquer to the crown if they think it is necessary. My experience with these pianos as well as with other sets from Steinway I have ordered and installed is that more often than not more lacquering is necessary, especially in the high treble and bass. I don't know of any "plasicky" stuff that is being used at Steinway.
Eric,

My experience has been similar when I used them before - additional
lacquering is needed where you mentioned. But on this particular piano,
nothing we did brought the tone up to anywhere near being adequate for
concert stage use - and especially in the 5th and 6th octaves (and this
was a "powerhouse" piano before...). And it was quite obvious (after
tapering) that there was something soaked into them much deeper than
what a 30-second dip would suggest. Perhaps it was lacquer - someone who
saw the color of the stuff said otherwise. Rather bright yellow... In
any case, those hammers ended up being rock hard - which is why we had
to rinse them out. They are sounding better now, after light
lacquering,  than they ever did the first time around...

I am glad you are getting good results. Margie and I did not -  and we
both have done a lot of this before with much better results. Perhaps
this was a "lemon" set that some factory hand let sit in the "dip" for a
lot longer than 30 seconds... I am not taking any more chances. Steinway
does supply un-pre-hardened hammers on special order, and in the future
I will use those when Steinway hammers are called for. In retrospect, I
prefer to decide where to put the lacquer and how much of it to put
where - rather than depend on some "standard" factory process which
could turn out to be not all that standard...

Best regards,

Israel Stein