[CAUT] University Budgets and Payroll

Sloane, Benjamin (sloaneba) sloaneba at ucmail.uc.edu
Thu Jun 11 14:36:08 MDT 2009

   Hello Nevin,

   I did speak in part about what you stated.  You are right, many of us don't get enough time off. I can think of a couple of techs that have salaried jobs at colleges and universities around here going three days a week. One of the gigs I heard a lot of bad things about, the other, nothing bad about. A shorter work week could help solve the problem, but the pay would need to still be considered. If pay is reduced with the work week in most cases, it would not solve the problem. In addition to this I would have to also say yeah, Nevin, we need to get guys like you out to the woods once and a while to play your guitar and sing. These university jobs turn you into workaholics, and make you forget some of the things you are best at. As for me, I ran out of gas for the two job approach pretty quick after moving from contract labor to "full-time".  I don't think the two job thing will ever be something I have energy for. Until I am married maybe. Ha ha. Gets ya out of the house. Some institutions expect you to do it so much, they let you do private work in the school shop. They figure, better you are at least there while you do it.

   I can say in addition that I am concerned about some of what I am hearing go around about the next CAUT committee proposal for certification. In relation to school budgets, a CAUT certification at CCM for me would mean absolutely positively nothing. I would not get another dime. I know the last two guys who had the job. You can jump through hoops for years protracting and increasing your education. You won't get a raise. Going through the time and expense, and time is an expense for us, for a CAUT academy, would in relation to my job just make my life more difficult. Some of the specifics for certification sound more like a somewhat ingratiating effort of techs getting on their hobby horse than anything to me. I suppose I could get on my hobby horse if I was on the CAUT committee, and propose we introduce something like a required performance for a set of piano pieces, by memory, one baroque, one classical, one romantic, one twentieth century. Then get a couple of judges with piano degrees to score your performance, if not good enough, you don't get certified. Sounds good to me. Playing piano taught me more about regulation than specs. But too many of the people on the committee aren't good at that already. In other words, piano performance seems as germane to the Piano Technicians Guild to me as harpsichord technology. Then again, I had the opportunity of helping with organ tuning at Oberlin on a few occasions. Introducing something like organ technology would turn me into an apologist for the CAUT academy and certification. I also am an organist, though my skills have diminished considerably since college. But again, probably, not enough people on the committee good enough at that already. Yet if we are talking long range improvement for our status in the University setting, why would including harpsichord tech skills be more pertinent than organ tech skills? I did get the majority of my undergraduate education at an evangelical college, and I suppose at a secular school an instrument that is more relevant to sacred music may seem less important, but far as the people we are working for, students (they pay), particularly at evangelical schools, they will find work in sacred music most easily, and therefore, benefit most from organ skills, the most lucrative opportunity when reaching the stage where they need to pay back school loans. Harpsichord won't do a whole lot for them. Besides that, I acknowledge a much greater interest in organs. Better tuning jokes too. Why not include organ technology? How is that less significant than harpsichord technology in the Piano Technicians Guild?

   For all its drawbacks, the testing for Registered Piano Technician is unbelievable. It is very difficult for piano technicians to judge one another's work. It is considered unethical for members of the guild to make judgments of one another's work. But the guys who started the PTG actually managed to get together a system everybody agreed on, and with as many problems I might have with the test, I am still impressed that it exists already.

   Furthermore, it is impossible to compare the piano tech trade schools with higher education. You can get in those places with absolutely  no knowledge about the piano, while it takes years of study to get into a good school to study piano performance. And there is so much apprenticeship in piano technology. If you create a school where you need to know something about piano technology first, then you have something like higher education for piano technicians. Thus, CAUT academy. But another problem we have to face is that so much of what piano techs. do is just doing it, not knowing how. Knowing how to do everything necessary will not get me the best gigs. And so, those with the best gigs I could also do get the best work from the reputation gained, and begin delegating when possible and taking all the credit. And so, the piano technician becomes leech in relation to another. This is happening in schools all over the country. It is difficult to trust other piano technicians to play judge, or for an altruistic effort to rescue other piano technicians from being repressed at schools across the country, because in so many of these schools, the piano technician is as responsible for the repression as the school itself.

   Faculty status is probably the best way to go. A CAUT academy will not give us that. Del was talking about acoustical engineering. He is on the right track in that if we want to be in a better position as piano technicians in a university or college; teaching will help. That is one thing most people associate with faculty positions. Turning us into administrators juggling inventory monitoring humidity levels, important as this is, will not change things much for us, or give us more time off.

   Hope to see you soon Nevin,

-          Ben