[CAUT] String Coupling / SB and Bridge stiffness...and maybe Pure Sound

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 11 11:25:55 MDT 2009

"The Tune-Offs" have become legendary. I was not there, but reports from
people who were there convince me that nothing was proved. No recordings or
measurements were made. In fact, the legends are seriously misleading about
what happened. Jim Coleman may have kept his tuning offsets, and about half
the audience felt his tuning was better than Virgil's. I don't think Jim
considered the events to be serious studies.

I do not know what the limits of Olympian human pitch perception are, so I
don't know that human hearing is more accurate than digital measurement. If
we were not somewhat tolerant, no one would have pianos, because we all know
they deviate significantly within a few days (if not hours) of tuning, and
yet, we still enjoy them.

I also don't know what is the correct or perfect tuning, and I have seen
people, including myself, have their opinions moved more by the natural
smokes and mirrors of the situation than by genuine response to the rarities
of temperament and tuning. (Sometimes I've been moved by my own smoke and
mirrors, and have a video to prove it!)

I hope I am an open minded non-believer, looking forward to learning
something, but I am empiricist by bent of character. Although I can see how
an infinite number of angels can dance on the head of a tuning pin, I gently
dust them off to make room for my tuning lever.

Therefore, I look for very simple numbers. I would like simple measurements
in controlled and fair comparisons. I would like to hear, measure and
compare "Pure Octaves," for instance. If the measurement of Mr. X's and Mr.
Y's octaves are the same, on the same piano, and yet they ascribe to
different methodologies, that tells us something. If Mr. B's "pure octave"
is a different measure than Mr. C's "pure octave," that also tells us
something.

Ed S.