[CAUT] SD 10 stringing scale

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jun 9 09:32:10 MDT 2009

Bob Hull wrote:
> We are restringing a Baldwin SD 10 There is a discrepancy
> between the Travis book and the plate numbers that are for
> the Baldwin SD 10 stringing scale.  One begins with  size
> 22 and one begins in the tenor with size 21.

The lone SD-10 scale I've measured has #21, giving a unison
tension difference between 20-21 of 113lbs. Changing to #22
wire makes the 20-21 unison tension difference 166lbs. I'd go
with the #21.

> Anyone have the proper sizes?  Is there a data base
> available for most pianos stringing scales?

I've thought a scale database - entire scales, not just wire
sizes, would be a terrific educational resource. To my
knowledge, none exists.
Ron N