[CAUT] Yamaha grand screws too short?

maxpiano maxpiano at sc.rr.com
Sun Jun 7 11:59:20 MDT 2009

A belated thanks, Don, for the advice on taking a longer screw and trimming
it on a grinder.

My query took so long to come through I assumed I had been ignored.  I
called Yamaha for advice and was told the screws were long enough.  Plug and
redrill.

As proof that the screws were long enough, the technician suggested that I
hold the lid lock bar up to the end of the lid.  He said that would show
that the screws go more than halfway through.  I tried it, and sure enough.
The screws did go more than halfway through... the tapered edge, which
itself was only half as thick as the lid.

Jeff Tanner offered me some 3" flathead screws he found in his shop, and if
the originals don't hold with the leather I glued into the holes,  I'm going
to trim and use!  Thanks for all the advice that came suddenly when PTG
released my query!

Bill Maxim