[CAUT] Serkin 1/7 comma

Aaron Bousel abousel at comcast.net
Thu Feb 26 14:31:20 PST 2009

Well, just when I thought I'd gotten some kind of
a handle on this I received an email from Charlie
Cumella (Serkin's manager? He didn't identify
himself.) with 4 pages of info from Tim Farley,
apparently from the 2001 PTG convention in Reno.

There are two sets of figures. The first he says
can be entered into an Accutuner III. The second
set are derived from a tuning on a 6'2" Steinway
A and are different, he says, due to
inharmonicity. He recommends the second set for
tuning a Steinway. He also says that these
offsets apply to the 5th octave. He's talking
Accutuner language and I'm unilingual pRCT so I
don't know if this is relevant. Would the numbers
for an Accutuner be different from the numbers for pRCT?

Here are his two sets of #s

Set 1
F:    4.5
F#: -3.4