[CAUT] professor tuning variables

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 26 11:30:18 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: <A440A at aol.com>
To: <caut at ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:12 AM
Subject: Re: [CAUT] professor tuning variables

>      Um,  I only got one that I can comfortably do aurally, but what's the
> point?  Historically, technology has virtually always driven the changes
> in
> intonation. New tech, new musical results.  Why should now be any
> different?

Ed,
I'm thinking that "the point" goes back to the original question that
started this discussion a couple of threads ago: "Which HT would be
historically appropriate...?"

Whether or not each one of us is willing or able to offer one or two or five
different historical temperaments in addition to each of our own versions of
quasi-equal temperament is not the issue.  Whether or not someone prefers
one particular temperament over another as a matter of personal taste is not
the issue.  The issue is placing the burden of knowledge to link every
different kind of temperament known to history appropriately to every
possible musical composition on the piano tuner.

That is the impossibility that leads me to believe we're discussing THE
Pandora's Box of music.
Jeff Tanner