[CAUT] mean tone tuning- help!

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Feb 25 18:13:56 PST 2009

On Feb 25, 2009, at 3:58 PM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> Yes, but...unfortunately, in the material Tim Farley sent me, he
> also refers to his offsets as the Jean Baptiste Romeiu 1/7 Syntonic
> comma meantone...presumably that is what he told Serkin.

	No doubt there is some confusion somewhere. But there is no doubt
whatsoever about the facts. 1/7 meantone is a very precise label.
Putting Romieu's name next to it is beside the point (he is merely the
"historical source" to show that somebody in the 18th century
theorized about this particular formula). Mean tone uses the syntonic
comma, which is a precise mathematical term. 1/7, 1/6, 1/4, any
portion selected is used in precisely the same way in any mean tone
tuning system. All 11 5ths are tempered by that precise amount (and
there is a wolf 5th to take up the slack at the end).
	Doing the math, there is absolutely no question that the figures
given by Tim Farley are those corresponding to 1/8 comma. And those
given by David Miller, and taken from Jason Kanter's RollingBall site
are 1/7 comma.
	The only confusion is how and why Tim Farley said his figures were
1/7 comma, and told Peter Serkin the same. There are any number of
possible explanations, including a likely one that he sent out the
figures from the wrong chart by accident, and didn't pick up on the
mistake.
	I agree it would be a good idea for Peter Serkin (or his manager or
agent) to have a set of offsets to send, rather than just a name of a
tuning. Though the name in this case is quite precise.
	I am not particularly surprised that Serkin would not notice the
difference. It is subtle, relatively speaking. If you are already used
to one, the other won't sound much different.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu