[CAUT] Kawai GE3 mystery buzz

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Feb 25 13:48:36 PST 2009

I had this happen years ago....I could have sworn that the buzz was from
the piano...It was a loose screw on an electrical outlet behind the
piano!!  Took an hour and a half to figure that one out!

Same thing in a practice room here at UNL....I replaced a broken
string...the culpret was the broken string in the garbage can (metal) but
only buzzed on a certain note, making me think of a loose rib or
paperclip, etc.

Look at every option.  My favorite mechanic in the world once told me;
"look for the cheapest fix first, and then go from there!"  Of course, I
used to drive "old beaters" then....(some days, I figured I drove for a
living and then stopped once in awhile to make gas money!!) <G>

Let us know what it is!

Paul

wimblees at aol.com
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
02/25/2009 12:06 PM
Please respond to
caut at ptg.org

caut at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Kawai GE3 mystery buzz

Richard

Start looking away from the piano. The buzz might sound like it's coming
from the piano, but it's really coming from a nick knack on a shelve, or
heating grate, or pencils sitting in a cup on the desk, and then amplified
by the soundboard. It sounds crazy but that's how I've been able to
eliminate quite a few strange sounds.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI