[CAUT] Practicing on concert hall pianos piano

Avery Todd ptuner1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 07:28:25 PST 2009

Jim,

Sorry for the length but I just felt like I needed to explain a few things
“along the way”, so to speak. <grin> If you want to use any of this, please
feel free to edit as you see fit.

After reading all the responses to your question, I noticed that most are
“allowed” 1 hr. practice time before a recital. When I was at University of
Houston, the students were allowed a 2-hr. practice time (once) and almost
always, the instructor was with them to give last minute coaching. That time
was booked at the same time the recital itself was booked. Exceptions
happened but not too often. If time was available, Master & DMA students
might be allowed a second time, especially if the recital involved a chamber
group, which I believe DMA piano performance majors were required to do.
Maybe the Master students, also. I can’t remember for sure.

UH had a recital hall and the main performance hall. We also had a “Choral
Performance Hall” which was used fairly extensively, especially for
non-piano recitals. We had 2 D’s in each major hall with a B in the Choral
Hall. With few exceptions, all student recitals were given in the smaller
two recital halls. Faculty and large groups used the main hall, again with
few exceptions. One exception was when a student (usually a DMA) was
performing a concerto with orchestra. The recital hall stage isn’t very
large, so there’s no choice.

One advantage it seems I had there was that I could book my own tuning times
on the computer scheduling program we used. I did that before the semester
even started and the general rule (mostly honored) was that no one could
usurp or change my 2-hr. block without my permission. That gave me time to
do any quick voicing, replace a broken string if necessary, etc. It was also
nice to have that when the recital included a concerto using two pianos.

The 5 piano faculty we had all also had a 2-hr. block in the hall for their
studio classes, one instructor each day. My tuning time was immediately
after that. Nothing was allowed then except for warm-up for the recital! We
had a fairly heavy performance schedule, with such frequent tunings that
many times I didn’t have to do more than a “touch-up”. They tended to get
pretty stable. After our move into a new music bldg, we still had to share
the hall with the art dept. in the AM for their large classes, so rarely was
there any piano use then.

 Most weekends were pretty heavily booked so I usually did my tuning(s) in
the early AM. Recitals were booked 2 hours apart, so I usually did nothing
else that day. Sunday recitals were only booked starting at noon. It made
for a lot of weekend work but at least it was early and the rest of the day
was mine.