[CAUT] professor tuning variables (David Love)

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 24 06:28:10 PST 2009

Jorgensen's book is not necessarily the most helpful in learning to tune WTs
aurally.
WTs can be revisited using 20th century techniques using A as the pitch
standard.
For an easy start, consider that several useful WTs temper A-C# the same as
ET. thus it is possible to begin with a stack of equal tempered M3's in the
A octave, then proceed using A and C# as reference pitches.
Bill Bremmer has refined a "Victorian" WT that he demonstrates often at PTG
seminars.
For meantones, set A-C# however you want, divide it into equal-beating
fourths or fifths, then set the other thirds to the given notes.
Ed S.