[CAUT] Detuning phenomenon; was: How long to stabilize??

Daniel Gurnee dgurnee at humboldt1.com
Fri Feb 20 15:28:11 PST 2009

Fred Sturm, CAUT, 2/20/09

Fred,

Our S&S B’s with the large chromatic offsets did show slight
chromatic tuning offsets until the web screws were regularly hardened
up. The B’s were more stable unison wise than the D’s.

The measuring device used was a nice dial caliper and measured mostly
pin to pin and where possible from an irregularity in the plate
casting in the counter bearing area, not always a good measuring
point but good for averages. The readings ranged from barely
discernable to 0.001+ which is enough to roll the unison.

On the D the chromatic offsets are much less than the unison left to
right distance and I had to be cavalier in ignoring half steps.
Occasionally with major weather changes over summer one of the D’s
with it’s offset half steps would sound like near WT.

The recital hall at HSU during my tenure was poorly controlled and
also had heat production problems. During concerts and recitals
humidity could rise from 30° to 60/70° measured by pocket Humidistat
and once by sling psychrometer.

Please recognize at 83 years I must be extra careful to try to recall
accurately. I’m trying to keep the flowers out of the weeds.  Also, I
must in justification be very careful to use no exaggeration.

I am disinclined to put my “O” through the experiment, both of us,
the piano and myself being too old and tired to go there.

I wish you all well,
Dan Gurnee