[CAUT] Detuning phenomenon; was: How long to stabilize??

Daniel Gurnee dgurnee at humboldt1.com
Fri Feb 20 15:25:13 PST 2009

Jeff Tanner, CAUT, 2/20/09

Jeff,

The three days was an estimate/guess of the 30’s in construction and
rather continues in more massive woods, hence my applying it to
pinblocks.

My humidity experience ranges from one day to many days or months.
Our summer workshops lasting for two to four weeks could manage quite
well in July with a shop ambient humidity  of 52° to 55°  for the
whole period (such good fortune) measured  continuously by a
scientific blond hair hygrothermograph.

The rest of the year was similar to yours only a little less due to
the moderating effect of coastal weather.

The truly frustrating humidity occasion occurred just before the
beginning of the school year: the piano professor demanded that the
Hamiltons be tuned before the beginning of classes, that done the
humidity would change by 60° and all the pianos could produce a fair
chromatic scale but each piano was very unacceptably out of tune.
What caused that is good for surmise a la piano history

But the point of my last contribution was the affect by humidity and
temperature during the period of concert prep/concert/intermission/
finale in which humidity appeared to affect the pinblock in that hour
to two hours of the early portion of the concert. To repeat the
earlier statement, the pinblock was measured (by micrometer) as
changing in dimension front to back by thousandths of an inch to
affect unisons.

It turned out to be a good test of unison tuning and also the
firmness of plate/web screws which did not have a large effect.

Dan Gurnee